February 25, 2008

Ah... Health Care...

Okay, I'm perfectly willing to say that I was spoiled by the UK health care system while I was over there. Say what you like about the National Health Service (NHS), it was simple. You go to the doctor in your neighborhood, they take care of you, and because of my medical condition, I even got free meds. No hassles with insurance or anything like that, the only issue is that I might have to wait a few weeks for an appointment. When I had to go to the hospital, ambulance, visit and meds were all free and the care fantastic.

Now, I'm back home in Boston. My doctor refers me to a sleep center to get checked for sleep apnea. I call the referral number. They can't do anything because they haven't been given a fax from my doctor. I call my doctor and get bounced to the referral department of the health center that he works with. They can't do anything until they get a doctor's name. I call the sleep center. They can't give me a doctor's name until they have a referral.

Jesus H. Christ!

I called back. Oh, no. It's less of a referral that they need than a doctor's order, so that they know what I need and where I'll be going. Okay, I told them where I lived and explained that we're just trying to find out if I have sleep apnea. Unfortunately, that doesn't nail it down enough.

More phone calls and more annoyance on both ends. At least now, it's back with my doctor faxing something to the sleep center so that hopefully they'll let me schedule an appointment.

Happily, this isn't the same for all things. I called up my doctor and got an appointment to see him in a month or so. And a referral to the dermatologist is only about a week away. So at least that's working okay.

No comments: