November 4, 2007

Things I Learned In Paris...

I'll be posting more once I upload the pictures from the camera, but here's a few of the random thoughts.
  • Talking louder and more slowly doesn't make what you're saying any more comprehensible.
  • Prefacing it with 'how you say....' in a French accent also doesn't help.
  • Miming things does work, interpretive dance doesn't. (Which surprised me, because I thought that left leg, right leg, butt wiggle, head cluck and arm flap was the International dance for I'd rather the chicken than the veal.)
  • Tourist hotels trade online reservations as easily as grade school kids trade baseball cards. I had two different hotels in the two nights that I stayed in Paris.
  • The French clearly have a different idea about bathroom plumbing than we do. (The first hotel had a tub with a shower attachment about a foot above the top of the tub—roughly below waist level for me. The second hotel looked like a normal shower until I turned on the water and the shower head flipped up from the force of the water and sprayed over my head, drenching the towels on the rack behind me.)

No comments: