February 12, 2007

Culinary Chaos

I tried to make something different for dinner tonight. I shredded a potato, an onion, some mushrooms, a big clove of garlic and diced up a handful of plum tomatoes. I sauteed them up, before mixing them all together with a couple of eggs, some shredded cheese, along with salt and pepper. (The plan was to make some of a veggie meat loaf.)

All of this was tossed into a heated oven and baked.

The good news is that it tasted fantastic. (Sort of a potato heavy frittata taste, though that wasn't really a surprise as with all my favorite ingredients mixed together.) The bad news is that it ended up looking like an omelete left on the stove far too long — slightly burnt. The inside of the loaf wasn't the fluffy egg and veg mix I was hoping for; it was more broken down. Savory and tasty, but not quite what I was expecting.

More food experimentation in the future.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Yes, you just made a frittata.

It sounds to me like you over-cooked it a bit.

Eggs are funny things. If they look done while they're still cooking, you've over cooked them.

You need to try for "just barely not quite done" and then let it sit for 5 minutes. It will finish cooking after they come off-heat.

Of course, if they're too much not quite done, then you've got a runny frittata.

Just for bragging sakes, last night I made butternut squash ravioli [butternut squash, tarragon, goat-cheese, home-made pasta] and tonight I made veggie-Indian [potatoes, broccoli, carrots, onions, spices and saucing]

Al Toid said...

Ooh, that sounds really good. I'll continue on with overcooked fritata. :-P

More culinary chaos to come.