February 18, 2007

Spam Fritters

Okay, I'll admit that I will try silly food just to see how bad it might be.

At the grocery store this morning, I spotted Spam Fritters in the semi-fresh processed food aisle. They looked awful, but I had to try them. Much in the same way that people try cheese straws and the like, I guess.

I heated up the Spam Fritters (different link) for dinner. I didn't expect much and the pool of grease that had bubbled out of them hadn't helped.

And unfortunately, they tasted pretty much like you expected. The batter was the same sort of fairly tasteless batter used by generic processed fish patties. The spam inside was, well, Spam (tm). I think the only way that Spam has ever tasted good, was when it was fried so that it had the tang of the grill (or the frying pan) on it.

Next, I tried it with a little bit of brown wholegrain mustard. That fritter didn't taste half bad, once it had a tang of mustard to give it a bit of bite and more importantly some sort of flavor.

All in all, I don't think I'll be running out and getting these again, unless I'm having someone over that I don't particularly like.

No comments: