October 20, 2007

Charity

I realize that charity is tough for some people to take, but sometimes it's just weird.

The other day, I was in line at the grocery store and I was chatting with the people that were next to me. They said that they were with a youth charity. After I paid for my groceries, I tried to slip some money to the cashier to help pay for their groceries: cake, chips, etc... for the party that they looked they were going to have. All I wanted to do was to do something nice and then slip away.

The cashier didn't want to play ball. He couldn't take the money. I had to do it. By this point in our discussion, the people behind me had figured out something had happened. They weren't sure if I was trying to take some of their groceries. I tried to explain that friends of mine worked with youth and that there was never enough money and I wanted to help. They didn't want my help, but I finally talked them into taking my money. Then they wanted my email to thank me.

*Sigh* You just can't do something nice and anonymous these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

because you come across as one of those creepy old guys if you try. Doi.