October 21, 2007

Stardust - Review

This film just opened here in the UK, so I finally got a chance to see it.

I had heard it referred to as the closest thing to "The Princess Bride" in twenty years, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to see it.

I have to say that I don't think I've been this enchanted by a movie since I saw "Amelie". It's a sweet love story, a swashbuckling adventure film, and a magical fairy tale all wrapped up together.

While I loved the ostensible male and female leads: Charlie Cox and Claire Dane, for my money the film was stolen by Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer. Both of them played against type wonderfully.

The heroic journey of Cox's Tristan was fairy tale pitch perfect (not that I expected anything less from a film based upon a story by Neil Gaiman). There were trials passed and failed, difficulties faced or avoided and a wonderful mix of odd-ball characters filling out the magical realm of Stormhold.

See it. Pay full price, but please see it on the big screen.

No comments: